This process requires the session trainer to complete and submit the PD Approval Application. Upon receipt, a review team will use the PD Approval Scoring Rubric to review and score the elements of the application. Trainers should submit applications at least thirty (30) days in advance of the scheduled training session. This period allows time for review and approval.
Please note that the electronic application must be completed in one sitting. We recommend that trainers download and print the PDF version of the application and scoring rubric prior to beginning the online submission.
What types of PD need to go through this approval process?
- Training sessions provided by a staff member in your own program
- Training sessions provided by a paid consultant or content expert
- Sessions at statewide early childhood conferences sponsored by organizations such as RIAEYC
- All trainings (online and correspondence) offered by organizations such as Care Courses, Child Care Support Network, Child Care Lounge, Quality Assist, and Child Care Education Institute.
What types of PD are exempt from this approval process?
- Credit-bearing courses at an accredited institution of higher education
- RIELDS trainings
- Trainings provided by an authorized individual resulting in certification such as CPR and CLASS Reliability
How will the trainer know if their application has been approved?
When an application is approved, the trainer will receive an email from the Center with the application’s score, reviewers’ feedback, and an approval code. If an application is not approved, the trainer will receive an email with the application’s score and reviewers’ feedback. We will encourage the trainer to use the feedback to revise and resubmit the application before the training event occurs.
What is the purpose of the approval code?
The approval code tells participants that the session they are attending counts toward the state’s required hours of ongoing professional development. Trainers must provide each participant with a certificate containing the approval code and the number of PD hours earned. This certificate serves as the documentation for participants.
How long does approval last?
Initial approval is for a period of one (1) year. Trainers may apply for subsequent approval by completing the PD Renewal Application. Please review the application form and the PD Renewal Scoring Rubric for more information.